HackerNest Calgary is proudly sponsored and hosted by
Wanna help organize or volunteer? Click here!
The fun, relaxed way to connect with the actually-supportive tech community. Show up, get a drink, chat up tech nerds. Easy.
Expert? Noob? Charming? Awkward? Doesn’t matter. Hang with pleasant people who get you. Meet sharp devs, designers, marketers, students, cofounders, friends, and everyone in between. Tech and non-tech folk from all backgrounds are welcome: we're 'safe space' for nerds. Strict no-dirtbag policy.
Rundown / Agenda
7:00pm - register, get drink, chat up interesting people
7:30pm - announcements, sponsors*, SuperConnect**
7:45pm - more delightful conversations
9:59pm - retrieve Amulet of Yendor, high five volunteers, ciao
* Sponsors may provide friendly mentors to share career/professional advice. Pretty snazz if you're looking to improve your world.
** SuperConnect is a new, hyper-efficient thing we created to help you meet exactly who you want. You get 10 seconds to share who you are, who you want to meet, and one thing you care about. Simple, effective, and too quick to feel nervous (great for introverts). Participation optional, feedback is universally positive. Don't miss this.
Example: "Hi, I'm Pepito. I do DevOps at Future Shop and wanna find a cofounder for my AI-crypto-ML app for chihuahuas. Why? Because I freaking love chihuahuas."
What are Calgary Tech Social events all about?
A Tech Social is exactly what it sounds like. It's not a 'tech networking event' if 'networking' means looking for people to use, but if it means a down-to-earth soiree where you find developers and other technologists who like sharing tech advice, punditry, and bad puns over friendly drinks - then sure, why not.
We're a group that...
- gathers people from all walks of life -- tech and non-tech
- attracts genuinely friendly people who get what you're saying
- hosts people from one of the loneliest industries, so nobody will judge you negatively for coming alone (everyone knows attending solo takes courage and deserves respect)
- reminds you what it's like to be human after 10+ hours of LCD tanning
- is adamantly unpretentious and discrimination-free 'Safe Space' for nerds; you can relax, drop the image, and just be you since everyone's chill and welcoming
- has a strict no-dirtbag policy
Who shows up?
Your new fishing (not phishing) buddies. H4ck3rs. Hacks. Developers. Hardware engineerds. Designerds. Entreprenerds. Marketers. Data scienticians. Venture ¢apitalist$. Venture communists. Sapiophiles. Social mediaphiles. Cloud architects. Machine learning cyborgs. Artificially intelligent product managers. Accomplices.
Why should I attend? Why do other members come out?
Our big survey revealed four main categories of reasons why people value our Tech Socials. (Warning: If none of the following applies to you, you might be a zombie. Please stop reading and seek immediate medical attention.)
1. Fun, Socializing, Nerding Out, New Friends, Feeling Human, Connecting
- You want to meet friendly, accepting people who can appreciate the nerdy stuff you're into -- and you hope to join the 88.6% of them who made real friends at HackerNest
- You're a woman in tech and - though you're strong enough to take on anything alone - wouldn't mind some camaraderie and laughing at silly stuff with the 25.6% of other attendees who really understand
- Like 66.9% of members, you're curious about what Calgary's tech community is up to and want to learn about latest trends, interesting new tech, startup gossip, etc.
- You want (intelligent) human social interaction after spending 8+ hours stuck to your computer/desk/ceiling
2. Tech Advice, Guidance, Learning, New Approaches, Best Practices, Problem Solving Support
- There's so much to learn from our 84.5% tech membership and you prefer getting answers from 5 mins of talking instead of countless hours filtering search results... after all, it's easier to trust someone when they're not just anonymous lines of text behind a VPN
- You recognize that Tech Socials harbor an unusually high concentration of experienced tech professionals (66.8% have 4+ years of experience) that actually enjoy sharing and interacting with others (89.2% dig these conversations)
3. Career and Education Advice, Work, Jobs, Employers, New Opportunities, Contracts, Staying Informed
- You're possibly looking for a new job, role, project, or work opportunity and wouldn't mind getting some advice, mentorship, insight, or introductions from the 91% of members who are gainfully employed
- You're not necessarily looking to jump ship, but are curious about the world outside your bubble, so chatting with sponsors is helpful
- You want to improve and/or acquire skills -- and hope the 73.4% of HackerNesters with formal tech training can give credible recommendations of where to look
- You work with one or more dirtbags
4. Business, Startup, Entrepreneur Networking, Advice, Recruiting, Partnership, Solidarity
- You're an ambitious, upstart startup/entrepreneur or work for a company and want typical stuff: validation, customers, cofounders, recruits, feedback, advice, information, contractors, partners, etc.
- You hope hearing war stories from others will give you the confidence to either snuff out your ridiculous aspirations or pull the damn trigger and make your dreams come true already